Skip to main content

Cheerio!

Last night we enjoyed a lovely meal at Ophelia's.  When we were done we decided to return to Finnigan's Wake, the sight of some of our biggest accomplishments of late.  We were shocked to see that the place was packed, and the doorman told us that they were all rugby players.  Real ones, too -- not like Ross on "Friends".  We proceeded to spend the evening conversing with some lovely Welshmen.  As it turns out, in 1985 a Welsh rugby player and a Springfield rugby player (yep, Springfield actually has a team) were buddies and decided to organize a goodwill game.  Every few years the Welsh team travels here, or the Springfield team travels there.  This tradition has gone on so long that some of the original players are now cheering on their sons. 

The guys were an absolute blast.  An older gentleman gave us a really interesting history/geography lesson on Wales and its inclusion in the United Kingdom.  Folks played shuffleboard and pool and rooted for the Oklahoma Thunder.  There was even a "Wonderwall" singalong.  We knew it was time to pack it in, though, when one young chap decided to give another geography lesson on human anatomy (and that's all I can say since I know my parents will read this).  Our friend behind the bar showed us their tab, and as of 11:30 they were up to over $300; however, the team captain said they could spend up to $600.  Based on the party that was still going on when we left, I'm guessing they hit that amount without a problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?...

Random Musings

1.  Last Friday night I was driving home from my parents' house when I saw two gentlemen on the corner.  One was wearing a jumpsuit and the other was dressed as (I swear) Captain Hook.  They appeared to be brushing up on their creeper skills.  Well played, boys.  Well played. 2.  I've been watching a lot of "Storage Wars" lately.  Who puts glass eyeballs in a storage locker?  Why are plastic chairs worthy of storage?  If someone can afford to purchase and store randomly valuable items, why can't they afford to pay the storage fees?  And why do so many people store money in storage lockers?  Haven't they ever heard of a bank? 3.  My father used the work "Grok" in Words with Friends.  He claims it means "to understand."  Later when I was telling him about my bad day he told me he totally grokked (groked?).  Thanks for the support, Dad. 4. - 6.  I'm sure I've mused about some more stuff here, I'm just to...

Musings From a Bicyclist

This morning I made the somewhat impulsive decision to take part in the Red Ribbon Ride, a great event that raises money for the AIDS Project of the Ozarks.  As it turns out, it takes (me) a really really long time to ride 30 miles, so I had some time to think.  A few words of wisdom from my ride: 1.  Dogs like to chase bikes. 2.  Butterflies also like to chase bikes. 3.  Bugs are like oysters.  If you swallow them without chewing they don't taste so bad. 4.  Bugs also hurt when they hit your helmet at a high rate of speed.  I've never been hit with an oyster shell, but I'm guessing the physics still apply here. 5.  It's fun to fly down a hill, but it's not fun to almost take a header down a hill. 6.  The folks at CVS make a fine sunscreen. 7.  Wind can either be your best friend or your worst enemy. 8.  Springfield and Rogersville have a lot of hills.  Whoever says otherwise is a liar, and I despise lia...