Skip to main content

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Sorry it's been a bit since my last post; starting back to school has been quite the process!  Fear not, faithful readers -- I've got a story that more than makes up for it.  As many of you know, I recently moved to town. I was fortunate enough to have some AMAZING friends help me along the way.  Unfortunately, they fell victim to Walkwaygate 2011 (for a little reminder, you can check out my first post, "Taking a Hard Left into Wackytown.").  In a moment of Norma Rae-like enthusiasm I decided to forgo some of the cleaning requirements to get my deposit back. Let's be honest -- does anyone really clean behind the fridge?
I had forgotten about my lack of cleanliness until I received a large envelope from my old landlord last week.  I was pleasantly surprised to see a sweet check for over half of my deposit. That would have been enough, but oh no -- the landlord had to make my day even better. The rest of the envelope was filled with a thick packet of COLOR digital photos, all hand labeled, detailing why I didn't receive the rest of my deposit.  My scanner is a little stubborn right now so I can't provide pics yet, but who doesn't like something to look forward too?
In the meantime, here are some of my favorite excerpts:
*A picture of the freezer showing a speck of dirt and the ice packs I forgot (I should point out that they didn't seem to mind the beer I left behind in the fridge. It was good beer, too.)
*A picture of the scratches in the countertop -- how exactly did they expect me to clean those?
*The drain in the kitchen sink -- for the record this was not my fault. This one comes courtesy of my neighbor, who allowed her sink to back up so badly that it pushed all of her sewage into my sink.  The ensuing repairwork permanently stained the sink and left my apartment smelling like rotten eggs for the rest of the day
*And last but not least, several snaps of the dirty floors.  However, they seemed to confuse "dirty" with "stained linoleum that is impossible to clean unless you pry up the floors and start over."

Thanks, old landlord.  The color printing, hand labelling, and postage were worth it -- I've learned my lesson. Next time I'll make sure to ask for all of it in an email for faster uploading and ridicule.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t