Skip to main content

Plus Delta

People who work for Springfield Public Schools often do a Plus Delta chart after major events.  The Plus side lists all of the positive things that occurred, while the Delta side is suggestions for changes or improvements.  I have had the ultimate of Plus Delta days.

Plus:
* Work was lovely today.
* I saw the parents of my father's first groupie (a little first grader who, after watching my dad play guitar for choir, presented him with a drawing she had made of him singing.  It's now framed in his music room.  Cutest thing ever!).
* The hot dog I had at lunch was delicious.
* My teaching partner and I had a wonderful talk and super tasty BBQ dinner.
* Only one more day of teaching this week before a much-needed work day.
* I had already flushed.
* I learned about ukeleles from a guy at Radio Shack.

Delta:
* It was hot today.  I felt icky.
* I forgot my lunch, necessitating the need to eat the delicious hot dog.  While I was happy with the hot dog I would have been happier with my sesame chicken.
* I dropped my phone in the toilet at Target.  For some reason I couldn't wait the two extra minutes to go home and use the bathroom.  The stall was small and I didn't have much room to move, and when I went to open the door the phone slipped out of my hand and into the bowl.  Does that last Plus make sense now?
* Apparently I didn't damage my battery as badly as I did the motherboard.  The phone guy said I could try to dry it out but he didn't seem very confident.  Since my phone is the only way to reach me I had to resort to buying a junky GoPhone to tide me over until I can upgrade to a new phone in December -- hence my trip to Radio Shack.
* For some reason some of my contacts didn't transfer, and most of my remaining ones showed up twice.
* No more Family Guy ringtones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t