Skip to main content

Southern Hospitality

I had the ultimate pleasure of visiting Charleston, South Carolina and Asheville, North Carolina during my spring break.  While I could go on and on about the sights and the food (oh, man -- the food!), I'd rather talk about the people.  I met some amazing folks who, although I will never know their names or see them again, made me think about life in a different way.

There was the woman  who did more than just confirm that we were on the right street -- she took the time to give us complete directions to where we wanted to go.  She didn't need to do that; when asked a simple "is this so-and-so street?" she could have nodded or barked out a quick "yes" before heading on with her day and her life.
Four different shopkeepers took several minutes to answer our questions and advise us on places to go and things to do.  Their tips would prove invaluable, and the time they spent probably cost them more than what we paid for the coffee we drank or the time we spent browsing their shelves.
The banjo player in the local bar welcomed us warmly and turned us onto some unique entertainment -- the jam session that has lasted for sixteen years.  There was an unspoken feeling of tradition and camaraderie in that place, and had I brought along a comb and some wax paper I'm sure I would have been treated as one of the gang.
The local businessmen we met by chance showed us all that Asheville's nightlife had to offer and gave us a truly memorable and enjoyable evening.  They thought nothing of treating us like old friends and showed us the real Asheville, not just the city in the guidebook.
The table and bar mates in two different restaurants were gracious enough to share in conversation with me, and we discovered connections and coincidences that would have remained uncovered had we not stepped out of our personal bubbles.

I was struck most, though, by the simple everyday encounters with people who held the door open or allowed me to hold the door for them, or the waiters and waitresses who appreciated our gratitude.  There was the shopkeeper who dropped a small piece from her display and was genuinely surprised and appreciative when I picked it up for her, and the guy who introduced us to his dog, Pig.  None of these situations were particularly significant or out of the ordinary, yet I find myself reflecting on them tonight as I dream of the beach while listening to the sounds of a spring snowstorm against my window.

I credit my parents with instilling me with good grace and manners; thanks to them I've never given a second thought to holding open doors or saying "please" and "thank you."  While I learned quickly in my personal and professional life that good manners are sometimes the exception instead of the rule, it never occurred to me to change my ways.  For some reason, the people on this trip were extra-appreciative and responsive to things I take for granted and responded in kind -- a "thank you," a smile, the wish that I have a lovely day.  These interactions are what I'll remember most from my trip; they serve as a lovely reminder of what a positive word or deed can do.  A small act can make a big difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t