Skip to main content

May the Fourth Be With Me

In January I wrote about pushing my personal reset button.  I had come to the realization that there is no "I" in team and that the "me" in team is just a bit smug.  But charming platitudes aside, I figure it's time to check in and report how things are going so far.

The good news is that I've actually, like, ridden my bike in the last few months -- and for more than a mile or a spin around the neighborhood.  I bought a little computer thingy to attach my bike to tell me how hard I'm not working when I feel like I'm pedaling like mad.  I even wear padded bike shorts with...well, not pride, but with enough swagger to acknowledge that I prefer comfort over style.

Beyond that?  I'm still learning.  The supposed thrill of flying down a hill with the wind in my helmet has yet to replace the cramp in my hand as I desperately ride my brake and hope I stay upright.  If I want a drink along the way, I best be pulling over to the side of the road because my arms are so short that I can't even reach my water bottle -- although this is a moot point, since even thinking about letting go of one of my handles for more than one second causes my bike to swerve and tilt.  My top speeds have yet to break double digits.  An elite athlete I am not...but me and my pigtails are going to keep on riding and trying to improve!

       Here I am at the Tour de Crawdad, shuffling like the boss I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t