Skip to main content

Point/Counterpoint

Back in the classic days of SNL Jane Curtin and Dan Aykroyd used to do a segment on Weekend Update called "Point/Counterpoint", which would begin as a current events debate but generally devolve into insults about their, ahem, personal characters.  Today was a Point/Counterpoint day -- minus the jabs at my integrity.

Point -- I donated my old collection of classroom books to a worthy place.  Eight years of books equals a lot of boxes.
Counterpoint -- I live on the second floor.  My car is on the first floor.  A lot of boxes of books had to get from the second floor to the first floor.

Point -- I went on a walk and found an abandoned license plate by the side of the road and turned it into the police department to be returned to its rightful owner.
Counterpoint -- It was really hot today.  Why did I go on a walk?
Point -- The police officer who collected the plate from me was appreciative.
Counterpoint -- He was probably more appreciative that he was done dealing with the two women in front of me.  One of them was discussing a restraining order with him, and I honestly wasn't sure which side of that order she was on.  The other woman was insisting the officer give her the insurance information of the man who hit her car the night before, and the more she insisted the louder and faster her voice became.

Point -- I decided to treat myself to dinner out.
Counterpoint -- The family at the table next to me were unbelievably loud and grating.  Kids running around the table and kicking the wall, adults doing little to turn down the volume, and someone at the table coughing like a seal.

Point -- Out of nowhere a shadow box on the bathroom wall fell.
Counterpoint -- Somehow, despite the glass front of the box coming in contact with the toilet, nothing broke.

Point -- Over two months ago my dad misplaced his Nook on an airplane and figured it was as good as gone.
Counterpoint -- Tonight he got a call from the airline declaring they had found the Nook and would be mailing it to him.
Point -- He will have two Nooks.
Counterpoint -- Guess who's getting a new Nook?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t