Skip to main content

A Compliment Sandwich

These last few weeks have been some of the most stressful I've had a in a long time.  The start of robotics competition season was extremely exciting, and as much as I enjoy the process I have to admit it's also extremely draining -- physically, mentally, emotionally.  Add to that my role as a youth group adviser, classes towards my master's degree, and time spent volunteering for the Gifted Association of Missouri and it's a wonder I get any sleep at all; I leave early every morning and never make it home until well past dark.  Once home my mind races with things to do, calls to make, emails to send.  Taking the time to write this post is one of the few things I've done for myself in the last few weeks.

Maybe that's why, then, I received several random compliments and praises today when I needed them most.  I'm not sure I believe in the whole fate thing, though I don't knock people who do.  However, I have to wonder why today of all days.  A parent who had to be asked to get in the incredibly long car line thanked me for asking him to move in such a nice way.  The parent of one of my robotics students graciously thanked me for committing so much of my time to the team.  Another robotics parent made a point to tell my principal that I was doing a great job.  A third robotics parent was impressed with how I communicated with the kids and how I make sure everyone gets to contribute to the process.

Did I share all of this to brag?  No, because those of you who really know me know that's really not how I roll.  Did I share them looking for validation or pity?  No, because those of you who really know me know that's really really not how I roll.  Instead, I'm sharing these things because these are all areas where I've had moments of doubt over the last few weeks.  I always worry about how my words come across to parents and students, especially in times of stress or frustration.  And trust me -- I've had a lot of those times recently.  I left a robotics meeting this week overwhelmed and convinced that we would never complete a working robot.  Parents and students are looking to me to be the fearless leader, and I often feel like anything but. I worry I'm in over my head on this one, and the last thing I want to do is let down these kids who work so hard and give up so much of their time.  Hearing all of these nice things today was the reassurance I needed.  I realize the next several weeks aren't going to ease up on me, but it's nice to know I've got a lot of people in my corner. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t