Skip to main content

It's Graduation Day


Last Friday I had the honor of receiving a master's degree in administration.  I fully admit that I had a pretty easy path -- because of my previous schooling, I had fewer hours and projects to complete than most.  Sure, the work kept me busy but I tried to keep things in perspective; it only took me a year, and I wasn't juggling a family or a long commute like many of my classmates.  However, I can now look back and say it was hard.  I had plenty of my own responsibilities to balance.  Many times class discussions on hypothetical situations had me in a panic -- what if it was me?  What would I do?  And is knowing what to do enough?  Could I actually, you know, do it?

Finishing coursework was only one part of the equation.  I sat through an intense licensing exam that, with each question answered, created more questions in my mind about my ability.  Seeing only one minute left -- with big, flashing numbers on the screen -- caused those past three and a half hours to flash before my eyes (and yes, it was that cliched of a moment).  Those questions were all "what ifs?", but I was reminded that they could easily become reality and reality can't be solved on a computer screen.  I attended a meeting for emerging leaders in our school district and listened as we were all applauded for accomplishments, before being told that accomplishment just isn't enough.  The world is full of accomplished people.  Succeeding in administration requires something more, a certain quality that can't be defined but can always be recognized.  Needless to say there were a lot of anxious glances and shifting in chairs as we all silently tried to convince ourselves that surely the speaker was referring to everyone else in the room because, of course, we each knew he wasn't referring to us.  No, surely he was talking about the rest of those poor folks who would never get to do more than try.

As thrilled as I am to be finished with my degree I have to be honest with myself -- I have no idea if I have what it takes to make that diploma become something more than a piece of paper framed on the wall.  It is to be expected that some of the folks who read this (especially the ones related to me) will immediately insist that I'm being silly; of course I have what it takes!  I always finish what I start, and this will surely be no exception!  It will all work out the way it's supposed to!  However, the truth of the matter is that I honestly don't know if I can take the next steps -- and, believe it or not, that's okay.  As the saying goes, I won't know until I try.  Just starting this journey was a big step outside of my comfort zone, and I'm proud of all the hard work I did in the past year.  I realize that even if I never leave the classroom I've grown as a teacher from this process and that's never a bad thing.  Graduate school is hard, but I have no doubt that what I've done so far was the easy part.  Now I have to take another leap of faith, push myself a little harder, and find out what challenge awaits me next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t