Skip to main content

Grateful Is as Grateful Does

To make up for my lack of recent posts, I've decided to share with you a sermon I wrote about gratitude.  My Youth Group students led a service the other night, and as part of it we read the story of Jacob and Esau. I was asked to say a few words about the story.  As a nice little companion, I also highly recommend watching "The Science of Happiness -- An Experiment in Gratitude" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHv6vTKD6lg).  So, so, so worth it!  Anyways, let's pretend that I wrote this specifically as a new blog post and am not just kinda sorta cheating by pasting in this speech instead.



Good evening, and Shabbat Shalom!  On behalf of the Youth Group I’d like to thank you all for coming this evening to worship with us.  We talk often of the importance of guiding our students through their religious journeys; your presence here tonight is a wonderful symbol of that community support.
Tonight Rabbi Block took us through the well-known tale of Jacob and Esau.  When planning this d’var torah I briefly considered giving a talk on twins – they do say talk about what you know.  However, I decided not to take the obvious route and instead want to take a few moments to talk about youth.  After all it is the youth of our congregation who, in part, brought us here together tonight. 
Whenever I read the story of Jacob and Esau I always find myself cringing at Jacob and Esau’s actions over the birthright.  Perhaps it’s because I spend my days surrounded by children, but it always strikes a nerve with me when I experience behavior that cannot be described any other way than as childish.  To sell a birthright for a bowl of lentil stew, as Esau did, is a classic example of impatience and impulsivity.  As he did not value his birthright over an earthly or physical desire, by his actions Esau demonstrated that he did not deserve to be the one who continued the responsibilities and rewards of his lineage under God's covenant, since he did not have the steady, thoughtful qualities required.
But what about Jacob?  His scheming with his mother to receive his father’s blessing didn’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence either.  Someone looking for a truly honorable hero in this passage might as well keep on looking.  Political Science professor Daniel J. Elazar suggests the Old Testament indicates that a bright, calculating person who, at times, is less than honest, is preferable as a founder over a bluff, impulsive one who cannot make discriminating choices.  Does that excuse Jacob?  I don’t really know.  What I do know is that this whole portion for me boils down to the idea of entitlement. 
Merriam-Webster dictionary defines entitlement as “the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something;

Or the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges).”  It’s the second part of that definition that gets to me – what makes us so righteous or privileged as to determine what we do or do not deserve?  Sure, we regularly negotiate salaries or wages at work so we feel fairly compensated for our time and energy.  We tell our spouses, families, and friends that our feelings deserve not to be ignored or minimized. We tell ourselves that we deserve a cookie after a hard day…or a cookie to celebrate a great day…or a cookie to celebrate going for a run…or a cookie to distract us from the fact that we may have forgotten to go on that run.  The point is that there is often a fine line between receiving what we truly deserve and what we feel we are owed. 
In 2012 Psychology Today addressed this specific conundrum as it relates to youth.  Dr. Carl Pickhardt noted, “Why more entitled? When a child becomes more willful or strong-willed, as typically occurs in adolescence, a significant change in thinking can occur when something is desired—a change I call ‘the conditional shift.' The thinking seems proceeds like this.

"If I want something, I want it a lot." Now there is an increased importance attached to wants.

"If I want it a lot, I must have it." Now there is urgency to get one's way.

"If I must have it" (here is the conditional shift) "I SHOULD get it." Now there is a sense of entitlement to satisfaction.

"If I don't get what I should" (to which I believe I am entitled) "I will feel treated unfairly." Now refusal of a want feels like a deprivation of a fundamental right, hence the sense of feeling wronged.”
Jacob and Esau’s complicated relationship certainly highlights this conditional shift.  The lengths they were willing to go to get what they felt they deserved ultimately defined the trajectories of their lives as foretold by God’s statement to Rebecca: “Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of people shall be separated from thy bowels; and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger."
But what about now?  How does entitlement impact the lives of children living in an increasingly connected, high tech, material society?  In 2009 the group Focus on the Family went so far as to dub this generation “the entitlement generation.” Is this the case?  Unfortunately there is research to back it up.  In 2013 The Washington Post cited a study published in the journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. It was noted,  “Compared to previous generations, recent high-school graduates are more likely to want lots of money and nice things but less likely to say they’re willing to work hard to earn them,” said study author Jean Twenge, a psychologist at San Diego State University, in a statement. “That type of ‘fantasy gap’ is consistent with other studies showing a generational increase in narcissism and entitlement.”  I’ll be the first to argue that we cannot make generalizations about people despite studies like these, but it can be disheartening to think that the teenage mindset has taken this turn.
Now, full disclosure time -- I’m not a parent, but I play one in the classroom.  I’m going to go out on a limb, though, and bet that I am not the only one in this room who has heard the cry “that’s not fair!”  So, how do we counteract that and buck the trend of the entitlement generation?
To start, we need to practice gratitude and model it for our youth.  According to the Greater Good Science Center, “We want to feel more gratitude—and we want our kids to do the same—because gratitude is so closely associated with happiness that the two are practically indistinguishable from one another.  The opposite of gratitude is entitlement, which brings negative feelings like disappointment and frustration.  But when we feel grateful, our world fills with positive emotions like love, compassion, enthusiasm, and confidence—and our satisfaction with life soars.”
Well, when it comes to the youth in this room I can tell you we have already started turning the tide.  These kids here are models of giving back and paying it forward.  Over the last few years I have had the privilege of working with them as the Youth Group adviser.  I have attended many of their bar and bat mitzvahs and at each one I am always heartened to hear about the time they spend volunteering at their schools and in their community.  Many of them set up a bar or bat mitzvah project to help those in need.  Once they join the Youth Group, they continue their good deeds.  As a team we have collected food during the annual High Holy Day Hunger Drive and have packed meals with Meals a Million and the Ozarks Food Harvest.  We have even received compliments for how hard we work; one woman noted that she is usually a bit leery of teenage volunteers since they often want to spend more time on their phones than on their feet, but she truly appreciated our good attitudes and willingness to get our hands dirty.  So, whatever it is you are doing with them at home, please – keep doing it! 
While none of us are in danger of losing our birthrights over a bowl of stew, we still need to ensure that we are mindful about being gracious.  We all do genuinely deserve health, happiness, and all of that other good stuff; let’s just make sure that we make the most of it.  Shabbat Shalom.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t