Skip to main content

Honest Abe

Last night was Trivia Night.  We gifted folk put together a crack team named Potpourri for 300; there were several team names dedicated to Dick Clark (too soon?) and even one dedicated to those enterprising young lads guarding the President in Colombia. 

We started strong in the General Knowledge category, although the team failed to believe me when I said Harare is the capital of Zimbabwe.  Hey, I teach this stuff; I've got a database of every country in the world to prove it!  We came back in a big way with knowledge of Scientists Everyone Should Know -- we did, indeed, know most of them.  This week's Speed Round was drawing car logos.  Since we had an artist and an architect on our team, we were set.

We were hanging strong in third until the emcees dropped the bombshell (or Deringer) -- the next category was about the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.  What????  Didn't he just, like, get shot? How were they going to pull ten questions out of that?  Apparently, the death of the president was a huge conspiracy.  Ulysses S. Grant and his wife were supposed to be at the theater that night, but apparently his wife and Mary Todd were all catfight-y and the Grants suddenly "had a headache" that night.  Our team is convinced that they must have put Booth and his team up to it; why else pass up an enchanting evening at Ford's Theater?  Also, one of the questions revealed that as Booth made his escape he jumped and broke his leg.  He made his way across the Potomac before getting it set, and the question was about who did the setting.  Apparently, our answer of "a doctor" was not good enough.  I still have no idea what happened at the theater that night, but I can say I have officially taken part in the worst possible trivia category ever.

Lincoln totally jacked us and dropped us to fourth, and unfortunately our inability to name any character in any movie didn't help (I guess knowing the film name AND the actor's name just wasn't good enough).  However, we did manage to inch our way into third in time for the last category -- Musical Duos.  Oh, yeah, that's right -- Musical Duos.  We aced the category; they thought I wouldn't know of a little supergroup named Loggins and Messina, but I proved those suckers wrong.  Thanks to our musical prowess, we pulled off an impressive 2nd place finish.  The outcome is even more impressive since it was past all of our bedtimes on a school night.  We're looking forward to defending our runner-up title in a few weeks.  We're thinking of calling ourselves I'd Like To Buy A Vowel, Pat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mallrats, 2.0

Now that the Halloween candy is on clearance, 'tis officially the season all up in this joint.  The stores are already in full Christmas swing.  I even heard "Winter Wonderland" playing, which was hard to take seriously when it was 75 degrees and sunny.  With Black Friday fast approaching, I've already seen some holiday hysteria: * I was in a store looking for lady stuff.  There were three nuns in the lady stuff department.  I was torn between wanting to stay as far from them as possible and wanting to sneak up behind them and see what they actually bought.  I know that they need unmentionables too, but I figured that was just standard issue with their habits, along with the sensible shoes and Clorox to keep their whites looking white.  Do they have to follow a dress code for their underpinnings, too? * A guy walking in front of me clearly had his shirt on inside out.  Was he a messy eater and figured, "hey, it works for the couch cushions..."?  Is that a

The Power of Yet

Last week I attended a meeting where the presenter discussed the power of "yet"-- how someone can re-frame his/her thinking so as to have a growth mindset.  For instance, instead of saying "I can't run a marathon," I should tell myself, "I can't run a marathon...yet."  To be fair, I feel there's a fine line between self-confidence and false confidence; no matter how strongly I believe in myself, I'm not sure any amount of positive thinking will turn me into an Olympic gold medalist.  However, my thoughts on the theory were tested just a few short hours later... I discovered that someone was making disparaging jokes at my expense about my weight.  It's no secret that I have a love-hate relationship with my body; anyone who follows me on social media has seen my #runburstinrun journey. And it is indeed a journey -- I feel like I barely remember where I began, and there is no ending in sight.  The source of the jokes claimed no harm was

"The Golden Years"

This past week I've been working with my students on writing revisions using the genre of flash fiction. Typically flash fiction is 1,000 words or less; for our purposes, we are sticking between 500 and 750. In order to model for my students I created a piece of my own, and I enjoyed reconnecting with my inner writer.  One of my students, after hearing me read my first draft, asked me why I was a teacher instead of a writer #notsohumblebrag.  Now that I've polished my story, I thought I'd share.  It may still need a little work (I'm still not sure I'm happy with how I wrote the ending), but it sure was fun to create. Enjoy! The Golden Years “Mistakes are ok...but not here.  You’re fired!” Fred started filling a cardboard box with his personal belongings from his locker.  He wondered if they had a room of boxes somewhere, ready to hand out whenever someone was let go -- something that happened a lot.  In his time at the company Fred only bothered t